the south of Tylos and west of Rhodes, Chalki has been inhabited since
antiquity, when it must have been very prosperous, judging from the coins
found by archaeologists. Its name most probably reflects the copper ore
(halkos) once mined there. It is a small but mountainous island, just 28
square kilometres in area.
capital cum port is called variously Chalki or Nimborio. Situated
on the southeast coast, its two-storey houses with their tile roofs seem
to climb up the sides of the hill overlooking the bay of the same name.
Worth a visit is its church of Agios Nikolaos, built in 1861, whose
magnificent bell tower soars above the surrounding houses.
times, the capital was at Horio, which was placed well inland in
an effort to escape the frequent pirate raids that were once the scourge
of the Aegean. At its peak, it boasted 4,000 inhabitants; nowadays it is
virtually deserted. Its stone houses, built in tiers like an amphitheatre,
are mute reminders of its past prosperiry. Above Horio the ruined mediaeval
castle occupies the site of the ancient acropolis. Within its walls is
another church dedicated ôï St. Nicholas (Agios Nikolaos) with frescoes.
the only beach in Chalki accessible on foot from Nimborio (10 min.), but
caiques are on hand to take you to its other wonderful beaches: Trachia,
Ftenagia, Sarri, Chania and Dyo Yiali.